According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, whiplash is one of the most reported injuries following auto accidents. In the U.S., there were 805,581 whiplash cases following car accidents over 12 years. Of those, over 270,000 were caused by rear-end collisions. If you are suffering from neck pain and whiplash after an auto accident, you need to receive treatment immediately. Our team at Meyer Medical and Chiropractic can provide you with whiplash treatment so that you can get back to your active lifestyle.
How Do You Know If You Have Whiplash?
If you are experiencing neck pain following an auto accident, seek treatment from our professional chiropractor. During your first visit, our chiropractor will ask about your symptoms and when they began, such as following an accident.
Our chiropractor will check:
- The range of motion in your neck, shoulders, and upper arm
- Your motion and determine when pain occurs and/or increases
- Whether you have tenderness in your neck, back, and shoulder area
Some tests that we may suggest includes:
- X-rays: While whiplash will not show up on X-rays, we may order an imaging test of the area to rule out other conditions that may be causing your pain or making it worse.
- CT scan: A CT scan or computerized tomography is a type of X-ray that shows images of the bone and can show fractures or damage.
- MRI scan: This test uses radio waves to show bone and soft tissue injuries in 3D. They show damage to the spinal cord, discs, and ligaments.
Treatment Modalities for Whiplash
If you have whiplash, your treatment plan will include therapies that will reduce or control your pain, restore range of motion, and facilitate the healing process so that you can resume your normal active lifestyle.
- Exercise plan: Keeping your muscles active can help reduce pain and help you recover faster. Some common exercises include:
- Rotating your neck in both directions
- Tilting your head from one side to the other
- Rolling your shoulders
- Chiropractic adjustment: Our chiropractor can help reduce pain and speed up the recovery time by aligning the spine and joints.
- Massage therapy: This technique can alleviate muscle tension in the neck, reduce swelling, promote circulation, and aids in the healing process.
Let Our Team Help You In Your Recovery
If you are experiencing whiplash and neck pain, contact our team from Meyer Medical and Chiropractic at 407-445-4500 to schedule an appointment and begin your whiplash treatment.